Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My Friend Marla

On the first day of second grade I went to school and saw a cute red-headed girl sitting there with an empty desk next to her. My mom had encouraged me that morning to try and sit next to someone new and make a new friend; I thought I would like to be friends with that cute red-head, so I asked her if I could sit next to her and she said that I could. It's all history from there!
Well, last week that same cute red-head left her four children in the competent care of her husband, boarded a plane and flew all the way out to Chicago, just to see me! I feel so loved! I cannot tell you what a riot it was to have Marla here! I haven't laughed that hard for quite some time!
I figured we had to give Marla a taste of Chicago, so we started out with Chicago-style pizza. Load on the cheese baby!!

Yummy, yummy! Here's a closer view. I really should have taken a picture of it cut with the cheese oozing out the sides, if that doesn't make you want to come out to Chicago, I don't know what will!


On Wednesday Marla showed me how to make a "Pretty Princess Dancing Skirt" for Sydney. I will post the actually dancing later, but here is a glimpse. Marla also put Sydney's hair in spongy curlers, more of that to come too. Did I mention that Marla has three girls? She knows all about these girly things that are all new to me.

Steve stayed home on Thursday so Marla and I could hit the town. We started out at the Hancock building with this view...


We walked down the "Magnificent Mile" and enjoyed the Buckingham Fountain that never did it's show like it was supposed to, but it was pretty anyway...

The Silver Bean (did you know that it's real name is The Cloud Gate? I didn't know that before)...


We also enjoyed some of the little quirks of the city...

It was so fun to have Marla visit! I wasn't the only one who was sad that she had to leave, the kids loved having her here as well! Thanks Mar!!

4 comments:

sherry said...

I remember that cute red head girl. You are so loved to have her as a friend. Now you have a red head to remind you of Marla every day. :)

Anonymous said...

I still remember the day in 2nd grade. So glad Marla could come and see you.

Jen said...

AHHH! looks like you guys had tons of fun! What a cute red-headed girl she is! And of course an equally as cute blonde haired girl! I miss the ole days of D-12! Love you!

Heather said...

I am totally jealous! It looks like you two had a complete blast. It's been so long since I've seen you guys. I'm glad you got together for some fun. We moms need that!