Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Days of Snow Pants and Boots

Here we go again... It snowed here and that means we had to pull out all of the snow pants, boots, hats, gloves, long socks... 
That also means, "Mom, can I go out and play?"  
"Okay, lets get all of your snow stuff on."
Ten minutes later and a lot of tugging and pushing and tying and out the door they go.
Five minutes later, "Mom, my glove came off, can you fix it?"
Five minutes later, "Mom, I need to use the bathroom..."
Snow also means this...
I did venture out with Sam for a little snowball fight, but I can't say that I lasted very long, brrr!  You gotta watch out for that boy, he has a pretty good arm!
Then it is time to come inside.  That means cold puddles of water on the floor, as well as a pile of wet snow pants, boots, hats, gloves and coats.  
I think Sam went out to play on our first snow day at least three times!  I don't know how they do it!  It's really cold out there!
So, while I feel like grumbling about snow and cold, I have to think back and remember how much I loved playing outside in the snow.  I can remember making snow caves where the snow piled up by Mom and Dad's rocks in the front yard.  I can remember staying out until I could hardly see anymore because it was so dark, and I don't remember feeling very cold, or at least the cold didn't matter!  Then I would come in and curl up inside, maybe drink hot chocolate, and feeling all happy and cozy.  I don't remember Mom complaining about snow stuff and puddles of water on the floor, but then, I don't really remember her complaining about much of anything at all!  I guess what I am saying is, I better bite my tongue and let my kids have their day, and hope it is as good has mine was!  
P.S.  Steve and I were remembering Moon Boots the other day.  Steve was reminiscing about putting bread bags on his feet because Moon Boots didn't keep out the water.  I think I may have done something like that... anyone else have fond memories of Moon Boots?  Maybe that is why Steve has such an affinity to Napolean Dynamite...

8 comments:

sherry said...

I got an e-mail from Nate yesterday, he said it is sooooo cold. He felt like he was skidding his face along a brick of ice all day. So I think you are the best mom to just go out and play for a few minutes. I know Sam does too.

Grammy Rae said...

Moon boots! I loved them because they had good traction and I didn't slip and fall. I also felt like an astronaut walking in them. We are still snowless so school is less cluttered without all the snow gear that comes into the rooms. How would you like 25 kids complaining about losing a glove or getting their pants on?

Norris Fam said...

I have a huge sign that says, "Let It Snow" and it is still tucked away behind the couch. Didn't even bother putting it up here in St. George...even though I am missing the cozy fluttery snow storms this time of year.

Jenni said...

Ok so we had an official "snow day". School was cancelled on Tuesday and we had 1 inch of ice followed by 9 inches of snow followed by blowing and 0 degrees. My kids all played outside as well. An all day football game and of course big tunnels and forts.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like the kids are having fun even if the grown-ups aren't. Now I could tell you about when I was a kid and played in the snow. Then we really did have lots of snow and big drifts too. It's been a long time since we have had that much snow. About 1953 or 54 we took a bus to state tournament in Pocatello, and the snow was as high on the sides of the road as the bus. But I have to realize it had been pushed there by the snow plows, but still it was deep. Have fun with your kids in the snow, before you know it they are all grown up. Love to all

Grammy Rae said...

Keep up with the stories mom.

Dena said...

Yes, I know just how it is to get them dressed and trying to find the missing glove, etc...and then coming inside and making cold puddles everywhere! It has only snowed twice here and then in a day or two it is gone!

Kristen said...

You are such a good mom! I must admit that I don't go out in the snow with the kids as much as I should. They love to go out - but it is soooo cold - so I usually say no (Because they are too little to be out by themselves still)! We usually make at least one snowman a year, but since they are still so small it is mainly me doing all the work. Maybe I will have more fun with them outside as they get older :) I have ambition to be a better mom anyway - that is a start right? :)