Friday, February 6, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!


I have an amazing mother!  She is the most gentle, patient, and loving person I have ever known.  I have been thinking about her a lot this week with her upcoming birthday and I wanted to share some of those thoughts.
As a little girl, and as a big one too, Mom always meant comfort.  We hear about how we should make our homes a haven for our families, Mom did that.  I loved to be home, I loved to be near Mom.  If something was bothering me, or if I was worried about something, just being near Mom made me feel better.  When I was 16, I was asked to speak in Stake Conference and I was scared to death.  I remember Dad telling me that anytime he had to give a talk and he felt a little nervous, he would just look for Mom in the crowd and he would feel better, I tried it and it worked!
Mom reads a lot!!  I am grateful for that now, because she taught me to love books and reading.  I can remember laying in bed at night and having Mom read to me, most distinctly I remember Little House on the Prairie.  I always felt like Mom enjoyed it just as much as I did, I never felt like it was a chore to Mom.
When I went away to college, Mom would send me cards with cute pictures on them and sweet messages inside that made me so happy!  I knew I was loved and missed.
I love the way that Mom loves babies!!  She is so good with them too!  When I had Sydney, Mom was here ready to hold her whenever I needed (almost all the time because Sydney always cried as soon as she was put down)  I think she held her for a week straight, and she never complained!  In fact, here is one of my favorite pictures of Mom...
 I am grateful for Mom's testimony of the gospel, it is evident in her countenance and in the way she lives her life. I am grateful for her example.  I am grateful for the way Mom supported Dad in his callings and with his work.  This is more meaningful to me now that I have little children and a busy husband and recognize how hard it can be.  I don't remember ever hearing Mom complain about Dad being gone, or having another meeting, of course, Mom doesn't really complain about much of anything. 
I remember expressing some frustration to Mom (more than once) about my own children, asking her the question, "What do I do with (fill in the blank with any of their names)?"  Mom's answer is usually this, "Just love him/her."  I keep trying to do that as well as she did, and maybe someday I'll get it.  I think with Mom it just comes naturally!  That is the way I was raised, with lots of love and patience.  Thank you Mom!  I love you! 

6 comments:

sherry said...

Kelli what a great tribute to Mom..She is all those things and I love the pictures of her as a little girl.

Jenni said...

Awesome, Kelli, I agree with it all. You wrote it beautifully.

Anonymous said...

Kelli you made me cry. I don't know if I deserve it, but I sure love being a Mom. Thank you.

Grammy Rae said...

All I can say is Amen, Amen, Amen!

Lois Cook Berrett said...

Kelli, I just read your blog on your mother. I agree with you. You have an awesome wonderful mother. I think she is one of the greatest women I know. I love her too. Thanks for the tribute to her.

Myron Christensen said...

Krlli: I have not been on the blogspot for some time but I just read your tribute to your mom. I agree with all the things you have said, and more. I am blessed to have such a patiant and loving wife, and mother to my children. All of our children are a product of her goodness. I love her for that and I love our children just as much. Thank you Kelli for bringing this to the surfaced so we can express how we feel.