Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Derby Time!

We pulled up to the parking lot, our hearts  pounding, nerves strung tight.  The sky was overcast, rain clouds hovering low.  Was it a sign of things to come?  We all walked into the building feeling anxious.  How would we be feeling when we left the building that night?  Happy?  Relieved?  Depressed?  Preparations had been made, we had done all that we could.  For better or worse, the moment had come for... the Pinewood Derby!!!
Because Steve is the Den Leader, he was in charge of setting up the track.  That was good for us because then he could "fix it" in our favor.  (Just kidding...)
Here they are testing it out (with last year's car) to make sure
 it was in good working order.  
The boys were pretty hyped up for the big race as you can tell.  I know that surprises many of you, as my children are generally very calm and docile.
Spencer's car...
Tyler's car...

Nothing like dueling brothers at the Pinewood Derby!  I was proud of both of them, they were good sports.
Here they are waiting for the results of their race against each other.  Both cars were very fast, but Tyler did pull it out by a hair...
Here are a few "photo finishes"...
Well, all-in-all we did okay.  Tyler came out with second place, and Spencer with third.  And all of the cub scouts had wins!

So, how did we feel as we left the church that night?  I think this sums it up...


5 comments:

sherry said...

oh how i remember those days...kind of glad they are over but I sure miss the smiles...

Grammy Rae said...

Those were the most clever designed cars I think I've every seen. I don't really miss the emotions of the night because not always were there smiles.

Dena said...

I see what I get to do next year with James! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like all had fun. It's been many, many years since we did that. I can't even remember who won. By the way who is that cute cheerleader, what a doll.

Norris Fam said...

Will I ever get the "opportunity" to participate in a pinewood derby???

Looks like so much fun that I sure hope so! Congrats Gordon boys!