Friday, April 3, 2009

The Arch and Uncooperative Children

I promised that I would post more about our St. Louis trip.  I know that you have all been waiting anxiously.  It's your classic cliff-hanger, so here is your next installment...
We decided we couldn't go to St. Louis without visiting the arch.  The kids were very excited about this, but once we got there they couldn't figure out how we could actually go up inside the thing.



It was beautiful in St. Louis!  Somehow the Spring Fairy has touched St. Louis though it hasn't visited us yet.  The trees were in bloom and the grass was green, so we enjoyed playing on the grass outside the arch for awhile.  We weren't sure that we wanted to go back to Chicago.



Then it was time to go up in the arch.  We waited in line outside the doors to the tram cars.  When the door opened I couldn't help thinking, "You wanted me to get in there and have you close the door on me and ride up 600 feet?"  The tram cars are tiny, for those of you who haven't experienced the St. Louis Arch.  I never really thought of myself as claustrophobic, but I was feeling a little nervous as we got in those tiny cars.



I was relieved that we made it to the top!  Here are some pictures of us at the top of the arch.  It isn't a very large area, but the view was terrific.

You kind of have to lean against the sides of the Arch in order to look out the windows.  I couldn't help thinking,"Let's not all lean the same direction at once shall we?"  I guess I am more of a wimp than I had thought.

We didn't end up staying at the top very long, as the kids became a little nervous.  And then as we were waiting to get on a car to go down, the car in front of us tilted so the people could barely get out.  We decided to go down on the other side instead, and in the end I was grateful to be down on the ground again!
We tried getting some pictures of our kids all together, but they were not in a cooperative picture taking mode.  Here are a few of our attempts.  Don't expect to see any of these on the Christmas cards this year...




We loved the gorgeous trees near the Arch.  I am beginning to wonder if we will see any blossoms here this year, but we thoroughly enjoyed these.
Spencer, who has been trained well by his father, is offering me some flowers...


Don't worry, the St. Louis Saga isn't over yet.  Look forward to one last installment, where four children tackle mile-high root beer floats...

2 comments:

sherry said...

What a great vacation. Can't wait to see more.

Norris Fam said...

OOOhhhh, I can't wait! I LOVE root beer floats!

That picture of your kids where Tyler is waving is cracking me up! I need to go look at it again :) He looks sorta like an indian chief saying "HOW"!