Sunday, April 26, 2009

As I have been using this blog as a way to remember things that are happening in our family (I must say I am not a very good journal keeper, so I am grateful for this way of recording some memories) I am including today a moment that I don't want to forget...
Today we had the opportunity to go to an open house for a young man in our ward who is leaving on a mission. This brought up a discussion with Spencer about how he will someday go on a mission too. The thought of leaving home for two years and eating strange food had him pretty worried. I could tell he was worried and tried to assure him that he had plenty of time before he would go and that he would be ready when the time came. He was still unsure, so I encouraged him to pray about it and told him that Heavenly Father would help him feel at peace and would help him to be ready when the time came.
When we were reading scriptures tonight, Steve was talking to the boys about Lehi and his family leaving Jerusalem and all that was familiar to them and how difficult that would have been. Steve talked about how sometimes the Lord might ask us to do things that are hard, but that He also gives us great blessings for being obedient. Spencer looked up and said, "Like a mission." I was really touched by the connection he made. He then looked up at me and said, "It's an answer." What a blessing the scriptures are in teaching our children! They were able to bring him peace that I was unable to bring. I am so grateful for the little miracles I see on behalf of my children, it makes me grateful to recognize that I am not alone as I try to teach and raise them.
I write this down in hopes that someday in the future when Spencer might need a little reminder of how he felt, he can look back and remember his "answer". I should really do that more often for myself, I think it is too easy to forget moments of peace and faith and return to the doubts. So thank you Spencer, for sharing your little miracle with me today.

7 comments:

sherry said...

He already looks like a missionary in his tie. Ihave always believed that Childred are our best educators.

Grammy Rae said...

Your little moment made my mascara run. Very wonderful.

Jenni said...

Good job mom.

Anonymous said...

your doing a great job raising your children. Keep up the scripture study. Wish we had done it more faithfully.

Lois Cook Berrett said...

Thank you for sharing that tender mercy with us. I was touched and had the same feelings that you had. Why can't I remember? I guess we are all just human and need to keep plugging along. Thanks again. It made my day.

Myron Christensen said...

It gives a parent gratitude for moments like these. The world needs more parents like you.

Norris Fam said...

And someday (after that special mission) some cute little girl is going to be lucky to have him as her hubby. What a good son you are raising!