Friday, August 28, 2009

The Wildlife of Alaska

Another of my favorite things on the Cruise was the Wildlife (I know, I could have just included my family in this category, but I thought that would have been just too many pictures for one post). There is all kinds of wildlife in Alaska to see, and one of the things you hear about most are the whales. I was not disappointed...



...I did hear a lot about whales, but the one that I saw looked something more like this than the pictures above...
But, be not dismayed, we did see some other cool wildlife...






We did see some wildflowers...



There were a lot of Salmon...
(not the greatest picture, but you get the idea)

We saw an eagle, just sitting there. We were able to get within about six feet of him, it was amazing! Of course, he was in a cage...


Because there were so many Salmon, there was a good chance of seeing some bears (live ones, not stuffed). Or so we were told. So, we went on a walkway above a river where the Salmon were running, hoping to see some bears. There we came across this sign, I really liked the sign...
Now I know that you never haggle with a bear about who got there first, that is good to know!
Well, we waited there on that pathway above the river with about 40 other people, all standing, staring at the river below and being extremely quiet, waiting for the rumored Mama Bear and her two cubs. And then all of the sudden, there they were! First the Mama Bear...
and then her cute little cubs, I really only got a good picture of the black one, but there was a brown one too! Yeah! Real wildlife! That was pretty cool!


And so, there you have the Wildlife of Alaska, as experienced by Kelli Gordon. I don't know, but I think I experience some pretty scary wildlife daily, right here at home!

6 comments:

sherry said...

I am with you...who can get more exciting wild life than in our own homes. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures. I do love the wild life at home too, especially all the wild grandkids. Three came in about 12 last night, there goes our peace. We will love it, though.

Grammy Rae said...

Thanks for the wildlife documentary. Enjoyable as always.

Ann said...

I particularly like the white fluffy wildlife. I have not seen that type in any of my adventures. However, we saw some pretty nice stuff right here in Utah while you were away.

Dena said...

Looks like it was a fun cruise!

Tonya C. said...

Like you said elsewhere, Kelli, it is fun to see everyone's point-of-view on the trip. I see the cruise with new eyes everytime a post goes up!