Friday, September 4, 2009

My Favorite Alaska Things...Part 3

Hubbard Glacier must have been one of our favorite things, because we took about a hundred pictures of it. And so, I share them with you... okay, not all one hundred, but here's a little sampling...



Once we got up by the glacier it got a little bit colder, as you can imagine. We enjoyed looking at the Glacier from my Mom and Dad's stateroom balcony (there was a much better view there than from our room, seeing as we didn't have a window).
We did go up to the front of the ship for a few minutes as well, but watched most of the show from Mom and Dad's.

Once the captain got the ship up as close as he could to the glacier, he turned the boat, luckily to Mom and Dad's side (the captain probably called it starboard or something like that) and then turned off the engines. My favorite part was being able to listen to the glacier, it kind of sounded like thunder, and then we got to see a little calving too...
At first the calving seemed pretty insignificant, until we noticed the kind of waves it was making...

This was really, pretty amazing!





A little iceberg in the ocean (I forget the name of the baby icebergs, Bergies maybe?)
And then, on our way out of the bay came the grand event, the Polar Bear Plunge! Jim was the only one in our group brave enough to join in, I preferred to stay in Mom and Dad's warm stateroom. Steve went to document the event. Here is Jim, psyching up for his big plunge...
Waiting for his turn...
This is Michelle, the cruise director, I am glad that I am not a cruise director! You have to be chipper and full of energy all the time, I got tired just watching her...

The moment of truth! The grand belly-flop plunge into the frozen waters of the Lido Pool (actually it is heated)...Hooray for Jim!
So there you have part 3, the Hubbard Glacier. If you are feeling the urge to see the other 90 pictures, just let me know...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your pictures of the glacier, it was quite a sight.

Dena said...

That looks amazing!

Tonya C. said...

Great series of pix from the calving!! I want to see the eagle pix from Sitka...

Grammy Rae said...

I love the picture with the pilots window. That makes it seem like we were so much closer than we were.

sherry said...

I want to go back.....to the cold glacier. I think it was the best.